14.5.12

Book Review: 40 Things I Want To Tell You by Alice Kuipers

Check it out on GoodReads here !

I probably should have seen the big plot twist coming, but I really didn't.

I have really mixed feelings about this book.  On one hand, it's discussing a very real issue in our society, which is great.  However, I spent the majority of the book wanting to punch Bird in the face.  As a character, she just annoyed me so much.

I was conflicted on the writing style as well.  I like the Top Tips that pop up throughout (I'm gonna make the Flan), and the integration of the advice column was good.  But the same things seemed to be happening over and over again.  At one point it felt like I kept reading the same page multiple times.

Overall, if you prefer real-life over the paranormal trend, check this book out!

Much love, Samantha

4 comments:

  1. How cute is your blog name/tag line? LOVE! I feel like a lot of contemporary YA right now is about teenage advice columns. I am not sure how much I buy that. Teens giving advice= kinda scary!! But your point of view of Bird is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I guess my feelings about Bird could be a positive about the book though. I mean, if I cared enough to want to punch her, I must have really been into the book? Hahaa, but I agree on the teen advice columns. Teenagers think they know the world, but actually know very little about it.

      Delete
  2. The title reminds me a bit of "10 things I hate about you", not sure why ;)) Too bad you didn't like it as much as you wanted, the cover looks nice though.
    Happy midnight reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is originally what caught my attention. But you win some, you lose some...

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!