30.6.12

Book Review: Across The Universe by Beth Revis

Published January 11th, 2011
Razorbill
398 pages (Paperback)
Amy is a cryogenically frozen passenger aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed. She expects to awaken on a new planet, 300 years in the future. But fifty years before Godspeed's scheduled landing, Amy's cryo chamber is unplugged, and she is nearly killed.

Now, Amy is caught inside an enclosed world where nothing makes sense.Godspeed's passengers have forfeited all control to Eldest, a tyrannical and frightening leader, and Elder, his rebellious and brilliant teenage heir.

Amy desperately wants to trust Elder. But should she? All she knows is that she must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets before whoever woke her tries to kill again. (From Goodreads)
You know you're in for a good read when all it takes is the first chapter to make you shed a few tears.

Yes, chapter one of Across The Universe is likely one of the best first chapters ever.  It sets up the whole crazy story perfectly.  And from that point on, I had serious trouble setting this book down.

I ate a Clif bar at one point.  I don't know if energy bars are meant to keep you awake because you want to read, but it worked.

I enjoyed Elder's narration more than Amy's.  I'm a huge fan of books that switch perspective like this.  It works particularly well here.  I loved watching Elder develop throughout the book, seeing beyond the world he grew up in.  Can you imagine never encountering another person your own age?  I can't either, but I'd likely want to bang them too.  Amy kind of annoyed me.  Something about her just didn't click with me.

I usually don't like Science Fiction, but I really frexing liked this book!  I will definitely be checking out the sequel, A Million Suns.
"So one man, the strongest leader, stood up and became the first Eldest.  He worked with the survivors.  They developed the lie"
Much love, Samantha
P.S.  I gave this book to my younger brother to read.  He likes Science Fiction, and has been digging this book too!

5 comments:

  1. This book sounds so interesting! I don't normally do a ton of sci-fi either but I think I will need to pick this one up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pick it up! It's Sci-fi, but it never really feels like you're reading a sci-fi. It almost feels more like a murder mystery?

      Delete
  2. Gah, I agree. The first chapter had me completely hooked. I was disappointed with some other parts of the book but the mystery definitely had me going! I actually preferred A Million Suns so can't wait to see what you think of it.

    And LOL at your 'frexing' reference!!!! I use that all the time when people mention Across the Universe to see if they pick it up hahaha. My friend told me she doesn't like it and I'm like, "You never gave it a frexing chance!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaa, I almost used "frexing" at work one day. It's just a good word.

      I read a A Million Suns and wrote a post about it, that will likely go up in the near future. I wouldn't say I liked it a ton more, but I liked it! :)

      Delete
  3. I had someone else recommend this to me, and I have it on request at the library. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!