17.6.12

Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Published August 31st, 2010
HarperTeen
335 pages (Paperback)
Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shapeshifter and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She begins to suspect there is a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths, and even worse, that she is at the center of a dark prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.  (From GoodReads)
This book had me from the moment it was revealed that her taser is named Tasey!  Seriously though, I love that.  Mine would not have been pink with rhinestones though.  There is a limit.

This book is a much lighter take on all those paranormal creatures we adore (plus some hybrids).  Evie's sarcastic narration was wonderful.  I like that the book never gets overly serious in nature.  Evie is a strong heroine, and fun to read, even if she got a little annoying at time.

The ending was a little weird.  I had to read parts of it a couple times because I was like "WTF is going on here?"  I still don't completely grasp why the floating was neccessary, but whatever.  I tend to like weird.

If you're looking for a beach read, but can't seperate yourself from vampires and werewolves and faeries (oh my!), Paranormalcy may be exactly what you need.

Much love, Samantha

2 comments:

  1. 1. I ALSO love Tasey. I think I snort-laughed at that. And I found Lend very charming when he was in custody.

    2. You are RIGHT about the weird ending. I was not a fan. But I have high hopes for the third book, coming out this fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually would have liked a bit of the book to be from Lend's perspective, because he was so charming!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!