15.8.12

Road Trip Wednesday: Sports Books

It's Road Trip Wednesday, a "Blog Carnival" hosted by the lovely ladies over at YA Highway.  They pose a weekly reading/writing question, and through the comments, you can explore and find out everyone's take on the topic.

In honour of the Olympics, what is your favourite sports book?

For someone who spends as much time watching sports as I do, this should not be a hard question.  If it's a sport, I will watch it.  If I don't get it, I make up my own rules until I figure it out.  Seriously, try that sometime.  Sometimes it's more fun than the sport itself (ie I loathe Basketball).

I cannot think of a single book about sports that I've read, other than possibly some children's books about ballerinas, back in the day.  

This actually bothers me, so I am asking for recommendations!  If you've read any books related to sports, leave me a comment!  As long as it's not about basketball.  I can't stand basketball.

Much love, Samantha

8 comments:

  1. I really wish I could give you an answer, but I'm in the same boat! I really haven't read any sports books....

    There's one possibly that I read a long time ago - http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Plus-Fiction-Tessa-Duder/dp/0140340564/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the basketball. Not a fan. I'd offer recs, but I honestly can't think of any. The only book (not related to horses) that even has sports in it that I can think of is I KNOW IT'S OVER by C. K. Kelly Martin. It's a very raw, realistic-feeling book and the MC plays hockey so it counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My projects always have a sports element to them so I have LOTS of recommendations: Swim The Fly, Catching Jordan, SHUT OUT, The Scorpio Races. All so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You might like anything by Cris Crutcher, though my non sports fan favs are Deadline and Whale Talk.

    Similar to Catching Jordon, Dairy Queen is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching Jordan! It's the only sports book I've read. Although I didn't think of Shut Out which I've read that Alison mentioned (above).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you already saw on my blog that I named Cynthia Voigt's 'The Runner'. I'd highly recommend it. It's not so strictly about sports, but the MCs life revolves around his running.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't really read any sports books either, though Catching Jordan does sound good. You should post a list of suggestions that people give you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clearly I am completely unqualified to recommend any sports-themed books. But I like the idea of making up rules to sports you don't understand. I might have to start doing that with American football. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!