20.8.12

Sam Reads Classics!

Hey guys!  So let me tell you about my relationship with classic works of literature.  It's pretty much non-existent.  I managed to get through high school reading what I wanted, rather than what they wanted.  Yes, I know that's a bad attitude to have, but I hated being told what to read and what to think about it.

Now that I've grown up a bit (ha!), and have a Kobo loaded with 100 classics, I decided I needed to read them.  ALL of them.  Daunting challenge?  Yes, it is, and it's likely going to take me the rest of my life, but it's a goal I made for myself.

To keep me committed, I'm inviting you guys along for the ride!  I've created a tab above listing the 100 works I will tackle.  Of the 100, I have already read two pre-Kobo.  BAM, 2% of the way done, and I loved them both!

Around grade 8-ish, I read Little Women.  My dance recital that year was inspired by books, and my ballet dance was to Little Women.  There were four of us in the class, so we got to be the four sisters.  I was Jo (this was not a surprise to anyone...).  Being in this dance, I was inspired to read the story, and loved it.

I read Anna Karenina for my grade 12 independent unit for English.  I just had to go and choose Russian literature.  It wasn't my smartest move, but I'm surprised how much I actually enjoyed the book.  The setting was kind of magical, and it did have a ridiculously complex, yet romantic, plot.

Currently, I'm working on A Tale of Two Cities.  Yes, we can all thank Will Cassandra Clare for that one...

So as I embark on my classical journey, feel free to join along, or recommend what I read next.  Let's have some fun with this!

Much love, Samantha

12 comments:

  1. I want to read Anna Karenina before the movie comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! Once you can figure out how traditional Russian naes work, it's great!

      Delete
  2. I love the classics, so this is really exciting! You have some great books ahead of you :)

    Have you considered linking up with The Classics Club? It's basically a bunch of us doing a similar thing, challenging ourselves to read 50+ classics in 5 years. There's a good community feel and it's a good way to find new blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of that, but I'm going to check it out! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. You've probably heard a lot about this one, but I recommend Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, I think you'd like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pride and Prejudice is definitely one I want to read!

      Delete
  4. Good luck on your challenge! I, too, want to read Tale of Two Cities because of a certain Will ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way in high school now! All the books they assign get in the way of me reading the books I want to read! The only classic I read and REALLY enjoyed was Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Which my blog is themed after :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I basically read bits and pieces of books assigned in high school. My stuff was just more exciting!

      Delete
  6. I have been wanting to do this for a while. I think they would be so much more fun to read if they were not assigned. I have read a few for school but very few on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my theory, because I enjoyed Anna Karenina so much more than anything else I read in school, and got to choose that myself.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!