22.7.13

Review: Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Published December 1st, 2011
Sourcebooks Fire
281 pages (Paperback)



ONE OF THE BOYS

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.
But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Green moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line? (From Goodreads)


Catching Jordan mixes two of my favourite things: romance and sports.  However, there is also a love triangle and excessive teenage girl hormones.

Our main character Jordan is the quarterback on her high school football team.  Fantastic!  I love this.  Beating boys at virtually anything is one of my favourite hobbies.  When a new QB comes to town, it provides Jordan with a challenge.  Even better!  This story is really heading somewhere as Jordan tries to deal with being seriously attracted to a guy for the first time.  The first half of the book had some serious potential.

Then the love triangle, that I *really* should have seen coming, takes center stage.  This was the point that Catching Jordan lost momentum for me.  I get that Jordan had the blinders taken off, so to speak, and had to deal with emotions and hormones and all that.  Let's face it, any of us who have graduated high school/are currently in high school have dealt with this.  I just didn't enjoy reading it.  It became too much of the same page after page.

Characters make the story for me, and none of the characters here did much of anything for me.  I admired many of the qualities in Jordan, but Henry, Ty and the rest of the main characters were sort of meh and not memorable.  I did like the development with Ty, but honestly can't remember a thing about Henry beyond how badly I wanted to smack him one.

I didn't hate Catching Jordan, but I didn't love it either.  The excess teenage drama just didn't do anything for me.  I am hopeful about the "girls in sports" theme though, and will likely give Stealing Parker a read sometime in the future (y'all know I love my baseball).

Much love, Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!