8.7.13

Review: Fragments by Dan Wells

Published February 26th, 2013
Balzer + Bray
564 pages (Hardcover)


Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence--it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them?

Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.
The second installment in the pulse-pounding Partials saga is the story of the eleventh hour of humanity's time on Earth, a journey deep into places unknown to discover the means--and even more important, a reason--for our survival. (From Goodreads)


To sum it up, this book had problems, but still managed to break my heart, throw me for a loop, and invest me even further into the series.  I should mention that I also threw my book at one point, which is the way you know that I'm into the story.

This book did start slow.  It took me a while to get back into the story and remember the complexity of this world.  As far as world-building goes, it only gets more complicated and confusing, so be warned of that.  However, that complexity was balanced by being interesting.  It became a mystery.

Not a lot of character development happened here.  Kira still sees her world as very black-and-white, refusing to accept any middle ground on anything.  Marcus becomes more of a secondary character.  The complete lack of emotion between the two was kind of sad, which leaves me with hope for my favourite character, good ol' supersoldier Samm.  We actually do see development in him, with the gradual increase in emotions and whatnot.  I loved him before, and I love him even more now.

After that slow start, the plot picked up with lots of twist and turns.  Some were expected, some weren't, and they ultimately set up for what should be a great third book.  The ending was my favourite part, and I really enjoyed the last about 100 pages.  This was the point when shit really hit the fan and my emotions got screwed with.  The ending will leave you pissed off and wanting more.

Fragments is a great sequel to Partials (review), and I can't wait for book three, Ruins.  I fully recommend this series, but will say this: a reread will likely be needed before Ruins comes out, simply as a reminder of the crazy science Wells has brought to life.

Much love, Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!