8.8.13

Review: If I Should Die by Amy Plum

Published May 7th, 2013
HarperTeen
405 pages (Hardcover)



I will not lose another person I love. I will not let history repeat itself.

Vincent waited lifetimes to find me, but in an instant our future together was shattered. He was betrayed by someone we both called a friend, and I lost him. Now our enemy is determined to rule over France’s immortals, and willing to wage a war to get what they want.

It shouldn’t be possible, none of it should be, but this is my reality. I know Vincent is somewhere out there, I know he’s not completely gone, and I will do anything to save him.
After what we’ve already fought to achieve, a life without Vincent is unimaginable. He once swore to avoid dying—to go against his nature and forsake sacrificing himself for others—so that we could be together. How can I not risk everything to bring my love back to me? (From Goodreads)


Was it flawless?  No.  Did I devour it?  Yes.

I was about half way to three-quarters of the way through If I Should Die when I had a thought.  This book felt so much like I was reading Breaking Dawn by Stephanie Meyer, minus vampires and teen pregnancy.  There was some unrequited love (which I should have seen coming) and a strange, epic-style battle among a species.  After I noticed this, I couldn't get it out of my head.

The ending also left something to be desired.  My suspicion is that it is being left open for the possibility of future novels.  If not, we have have a problem.  It was very abrupt.  Nothing was really left hanging, but it didn't feel like a conclusion.  I was shocked that it just ended.  I expected at least one more chapter to round everything out.

Despite this, I did devour this book.  I got so wrapped up in the story and plight of Kate and Vincent, that I barely put it down.  If you are a fan of the series, I think you'll still enjoy If I Should Die, but beware of the ending.  If you haven't checked out this series, check out my review of Die For Me.

Also, the leather pants reappear.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!